06 September, 2008

Yo!

Hmmm……for fun, I’m going to blog in English this time. Not that I’m tounge tied in my own native language, but sometimes it’s kind of fun to see if I could write fluently in another language. Thank God for me not being that good to write in other languages, or else it’ll be a daunting task to keep on testing my writing skills. muahahahaha

Today will be the 7th day of Ramadan (still a long way to go, sports fans). And as the previous year, I’ve been making it simple in terms of my meals. But I’m still maintaining the amount of intake into this amazingly large mouth of mine, making me to wonder if I’ll ever get to be on a diet. Anyhoo…..me and my housemates (6 jahanam, as I like to refer to out little band of brigades) will be cruising into whichever Pasar Ramadan that we feel like we would have an interest to go (so far it has been only 2), and we’ll buy just enough for break fast and sahur. No kuih, no deserts, and certainly no extra appetite delights. Just some mere dishes to go with rice. Don’t know why, but the seemingly burning desire to buy everything there is to offer buy the stalls have burned out with each year that I grow into. Probably it’s the age, or probably it’s the ever oh-so tightening budget (Raya will be a pain in the rear end in terms of financial needs), but we do manage to keep it less than 5 bucks for both meals. And may I add, it has never reached 5 bucks yet. Kinda cheap, huh?

Well, as I was saying, Raya will be a time where the spendings makes being with a money grubbing chick like a walk in the park. After all, you have your kuih raya that you need to about, green packets for those rugrats, and not to mention the decor that you have to consider. Well, being single does make it easy……. your budget is basically small to nothing. But when you’re the eldest son, and you mom is hoping for the children to chip in, you just can’t help but to cave in. After all, she does stay alone, and her pension isn’t what I’ll say as being rich. But thinking of the sacrifices that she made raising me and my siblings with the pay of a measly primary school teacher, isn’t it time for her to be enjoying raya with her children helping out?

Last year, we managed to make some dodol on our own. And believe me, being my first time, it was all worth it. A bit tired and sore, but worth. And considering that I’ll be going back 5 days before raya, who knows what traditional titbits that I’ll be whipping this year round. Once thing’s for sure, it won’t be dodol. Heard that my mom’s gonna have another project for this year. Can’t wait to see what’s in store.

But this year won’t be as much fun as last year….nope, won’t be as fun as 3 years ago. My brother, sadly, won’t be burning Thunderclaps and eating in our family meals like previous years. Just got called by Petronas on Tuesday, and in a few hours, he was on a flight reporting for his first ever job in Carigali Miri. And considering the circumstances, it’s 98% that he won’t be back for Raya. Lately, it seems that the family is never complete for the event that families should be together to celebrate. But I deeply pray that he’ll find a way to keep the Raya spirit burning fiercely, even though it’s gonna be with his ‘family’ of friends.

Owh well, it’s almost 4am now. I need to be the alarm clock to the Rip Van Winkles in the house, and have our sahur soonafter. Just hope that my vocal cords will be enough to wake those snoring sons of a gun.

P/S: My laptop been damaged from a lightning strike last week towards my LAN port, so I can’t blog from there. Rather lazy to get the file on goodbyes in many languages, so I guess it’s a simple goodbye in English.

No comments: