29 September, 2009

I Hate Phones.....But I Can't Live Without 'Em

Another English blog (just trying to consistantly write in one language this time) from me.

Two years ago (when I started working), I've began to grow an interest towards handphones. Not the mid-range phone, but rather the high end ones. I know it's a waste of money, but heck, people have been known to have ridiculous interests over the past years. I have a friend who would dive to the depths of rivers just to find old motorcycles and restore them to a good condition. Back in my PPP days, my dormmate would scour the streets late at night and grab any buntings of events, campaigns and such. Is this a crime? I don't know. But he'll only take it down once the event has ended. So,  looking at my friends rather 'unique' interests, why not get something that I actually use everyday.

To be frank, before I went for my studies in Uniten, I never bothered to even have a handphone. But as my maturity develops in the harsh rugged place in Kajang (believe me, just read the papers and you'll see that it's a crime city), the presence of a handphone slowly envelops around me, becoming a necessity that I simply cannot live without.

However, due to extremely tight financial contrains, my 5 years in Uniten has me nothing more than a Nokia 3310. Even when technologies moved forward with MMS, camera phones, memory cards, polyphonic and MP3 ringtones, even 3G at that time - I never bothered nor was I having the sensation of uplifting my handphone status. I was happy with what I have (or was it because I couldn't have what I want :) ) that I stayed with it til I graduate.

But as your financial status improved (not much, but wayyy better than my student days), the urge and desire simply erupts within oneself. Guess all the crap on the Maslov's pyramid that I learned in my management class were true then. The obsession couldn't be contained any longer. I was browsing through websites, reading reviews, asking handphone dealers on specs......... I had become a handphonolic (is there such a word?)

Therefore, in Dec 2007, a mean machine has finally within the clutches of my already big hands. From a measly Nokia 3310, I now have the capability for GPS, Wifi, a 333MHz ARM processor, a 2GB Micro-SD card, a 5MP camera with Carl-Ziess lens, even IR for connnection with older phones without Bluetooth. Ladies and gentlemen, I present my Nokia N95-3.

I had some great times with the phone. My most exciting features? The camera. Having a 5MP camera with autofocus was just pure awesome. God knows how many times have I been grateful during moments where some impromptu occasion crossed paths with me, and those magical moments could be treasured in digital form. In fact, most of my pictures in this blog is from my N95.

10 months later, I went another step further (at least, I think I did). I sold my N95 to my brother (he needed the phone, I needed the cash). And in Oct 2008, another mega machine was now within the touch of my finger. That is, a 2.8in touch screen, accelerometer that kicked butt real bad, a 4GB microSD card, GPS, a full 5-row QWERTY keyboard, 3.2MP camera, Qualcomm 528MHz processor. And with that, here comes the HTC Touch Pro.

A change to touch screen usage and the 5-row keyboard was a blast. With Office applications in it, there's been numerous instances where I coud just do some of my work (emphasis on SOME) while riding the Komuter or during boring faculty meetings, hehehe. It a wonder how something so powerful could be packaged in something so small. Gotta love transistors for all this.

An issue came though......my camera sucks. It was a smaller camera with no autofocus. The flash is crappy (well, my N95 has crappy flash too, but this was much worse). Plus, the pictures comes out too much orange. And just like Blade (the Marvel superhero character), I need my plasma now.

Looked around for a camera phone. Had some ideas on the specs and its capabilities. Whatever it is, the camera must be better than my predecessors. And finally, I wrap my hands around a mid range phone, in which I must say, my best acquisition yet. The only thing that it lacks from the N95 is that it has no Wifi. But with Xenon flash to balance that one loss, I give you the Nokia 6220. And boy, what fun have I had with it. Not only that, I began to explore the GPS function much more thoroughly. And with 3 different map softwares, it's as though I have 3 GPS navigator (well, 2 actually. The Nokia Maps is just too expensive in order to activate its navigation) in one compact machine. And for someoe who totally sucked at the streets of KL, it has saved me on more than one occasion in moving around the metropolitan.

The funny thing about both my elder phones, one month after I sold it to my brother (11 months after I got the phone), the ribbon cable was damaged. He spent abour RM100+ in fixing that darn thing. And today, I was at HTC service center because the backlight of my phone had become so dim that I just can't simply read my phone anymore (also 11 months after I brought it).

Moral of the story, if you are a handphone fanatic, don't buy a slide phone. You'll only regret it in the future. Unless you have so much money that you just have no idea where to spend it to, get yourself a bar phone. Trust me, it's simply not worth it.

Which brings me back to my ever so raging desire........should I get the iPhone?????

Well, whatever that answer might be, it'ss have to be put on hold for now. The iPhone 3GS is currently not available for Hotlink prepaid users (too many people in the waiting list, so they're only offering it to postpaid customers......for now), and I just can't simply spend anymore just yet. After all, it's still a mystery where us government staff will be getting a bonus this year. Plus I have big money to be spent away for my wedding next year. But more on that later.

Guess that's all for now. Need to pack for my trip to KK on Thursday. That, too, will be blogged when I get back.

Nagemiseni

No comments: